Lots of questions so I will try and be methodical for once and answer the do’s and don’t.
- Domestic Pets require on average 2% – 3% of there total body weight in food per day (a dog weighing 50lbs requires 1.5lbs of food per day, a cat weighing 12lbs requires about 2 oz-3oz per day.) Divided into 2 or 3 meals a day.
- Dogs require at least 50% meat in their diet.
- Cats NEED at least 75% meat if not more.
( This includes muscle meat AND organ meat)
- Veggies need to either be boiled and mashed or puree’d.
- They need daily calcium, Taurine, and omega oils added.
- You can throw together a meal in about 30 mins.
- If you free feed kibble, then switch to home cooked or raw diet you will find your animals are totally satisfied with 2 or 3 meals a day instead.
- Bones … in the 48 years I have had animals they have always had raw bones, Never once have I had an animal have a problem. I am not saying that sometimes problems don’t happen because they do. However ppl take one bad occurence and run with it. Often times ppl will tell you “don’t feed bones because they will cause A B C.” Truth is if you are really unlucky it MAY cause A B or C. It is like saying do not let your pet go up and downstairs because it will fall and break a leg. It could happen but rarely does. The only warning I would give regarding bones is DO NOT FEED COOKED BONES. ( cooking makes the bones brittle and the can splinter.)
- Muscle Meats to feed : Ground Beef, Deer, Lamb, Mutton, Turkey, Chicken, Rabbit, Buffelo, Ostrich, Fish.
- Organ Meats: Heart, Kidney, Liver, Intestines.
- Other sources: Eggs, Apples, Bananas, Oranges. Grated Cheese.
- My favorite additions to meat and veggies: Canola Oil with vitamin E, Cottage Cheese, Plain Yogurt, vitamin C, Taurine, Cod Liver Oil, Crushed egg shells, and Oyster calcium.
- List of fruits and Veggies : Asparagus: Beets : Broccoli: Brussels Sprouts: Cabbage: Carrots: Cauliflower : Celery :Dandelion Leaves : Kolrabi: Kale : Okra :Parsley: Parsnips : Peas :Pumpkin : Rutabagas:Squash : Sweet potatoes :Swiss chard :Turnips :zucchini apple: Avocado: Bananas: Blackberry: Blueberry: Cherries: (STONE REMOVED) Kiwis: Melons: Papaya: Peaches: